Friday, March 16, 2007

New Kid in Town



Being the new kid in town is always uber difficult. Especially if you are totally new to the culture, traditions and values of the place you're trying to integrate into. That is basically how I am currently feeling at the moment. Although I've been here for several months now, I still feel out of place at times. I miss Calgary. boohoo. But I have to move on.

One of the many struggles of moving into a new city, new country, or new continent for that matter is the meeting of new friends, acquaintances and establishing a social network from scratch. I was lucky enough to have had a very eclectic group of friends back in Calgary which helped me, not only to meet new and interesting people at every turn, but also to experience many things that I otherwise would not have ever dreamed of without the help of these people. Now, establishing that kind of foray of friends in a new city seems harder for me, especially at this stage of my life. I'm currently not attending school, and am just travelling around, making it difficult to keep any relation stable and constant. Hence I end up with no contacts when I need something and make it even harder for me to go out with people. As friendly as I am, I don't want to go clubbing or bar-hopping on my own all the time. I want to be able to have friends to come see, meet and dine with.

Therefore, after a lot of deliberation amongst myself..lol. I've decided to find work, where I can, of course get income to replenish my travel budget, as well as meet new friends, that I suppose will become more established and concrete than my previous rendez-vous with various randoms. teehee. :) The job I got is a call center agent. Yes, it's those darn people who call you, and maybe even sometimes harass you via "spitless conversation"(phone). I got the job extremely easily, considering I'm a native speaker of the English language and the people here speak English only as a secondary language. The company is huge and the place seems really nice. So hopefully, their employees are as well.

But, still, does it really become that hard to make new friends once you're on your own travelling all over the place? I supposse it would be unless you made the voyage with other people. Anyhow, tell me what you think? Are there ways to make solid friendships with people you only meet and then say goodbye to in the span of a few days? Is it possible? Just a thought. :)


Secretly Yours,
-Donnie Cooper

No comments: